Chrysler Repair/'00 Stratus master cylinder/brake lines

Question
Hello again Roland, I have a 2000 Dodge Stratus 2.4L without abs and 116,000 on it. Recently, I replaced the rear brakes and all the lines to the proportioning valves. While under the front fitting the lines into the proportioning valves I noticed the lines forward from that point may need replacing soon, as well as the front brake lines. My question is, since, due the wonders of cab forward engineering, I cannot follow the lines from the valves to the master (thankfully, I do not have abs), can I tell by looking at the 4 lines on the master which go where? In other words, if the master has 4 lines going in,two on each side, can I assume that the front left line is for the front left brake, front right line for front right brake with the master cylinders 2 rear lines feeding their respective rear brakes? As I see no way of running the lines in their original points of placement on the firewall and since I can't trace them backwards to the master such info would be of great help. Thanks a million Roland for your help.

Answer
Hi Wolfgang,
The system is not what you expected. The master cylinder is designed to operate the brakes in diagonal pairings. The forward pair operate the right front/left rear while the rear pair operate the left front/right rear brake. The manual doesn't show which side does which wheel but if you were to loosen a line at one of those ports so that it "bled" you could test for the braking action at two of those diagonal-paired wheels to find out which one is not operating well when you step on the pedal. Of if you can trace any of the lines to the rears you might then know which port is associated with which.
Roland
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston