Chrysler Repair/07 chrysler 300

Question
I have a 07 chrysler 300 that has plenty of power and has auto with optional shifter;  but when you turn the AC on it will not accelerate and will not manually shift down or up (stuck in drive).  Speed tops out around 50mph and will not accelerate even with the gas to the floor.  If I stop, turn the car off then turn the AC before starting the car again it takes off like normal and has no issues with acceleration.  Any idea what could cause this?

Answer
That is unusual, Garett. I can't identify why this is happening. I wonder whether the engine controller might have logged a fault code into its memory. It may be accessible via the ignition key: 'on-off-on-off-on and leave on' doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window to see if the mileage is replaced by a 4-digit number preceded by a P If so, let me know. If not then a fault code readout with a reader that plugs in under the dash may tell us. A nationwide autoparts store (e.g. Autozone) will often do that free, or an independent repair shop will do it $40 or less. Once we get a code we can deal with this.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston