Chrysler Repair/98 concord cam locked up

Question
QUESTION: I have a 98 concord with the 3.2 24-valve. It was a crank no start had fuel and spark so I removed the timing cover. No play in the timing belt tensioner was tight. I removed the belt where it goes around the crank is bare it tore all the teeth off. The crank turns fine. The left cam turns fine. But the right cam won't move at all. I removed the plugs and see no markes or holes on the top of the Pistons. No noises when I turn the crank. I've heard conflicting answers from co workers weather this is an enterfierance engine or not. Would a bent valve keep the cam from moving? If not what should I look for when I remove the valve cover?

ANSWER: Hi James,
It is an interference type of engine. So I believe you will find some sort of valve damage is preventing the rotation of the cam shaft.
Sorry for the delay but I just found your question in the 'pool' to which the other expert had referred it.
Roland

QUESTION: I've pulled the plantum, valve cover, and rocker arms off and the cam is still locked up. With all of this info should I worry about valve damage? And what else would cause the cam to lock up?

ANSWER: Hi James,
What is the "plantum"? I have not heard of that item.
If you removed the rocker arms then I would believe that all the 12 valves on that side of the engine are closed. Do the valve stems appear to be in there top-most/closed position or is one or more of them stuck partially open? If so then those would be bent valves. If all the valves appear to be fully closed then I don't believe there should be any 'interference' between the valves and the pistons, and even more so I don't understand why the cam sprocket is locked up because it is not try to operate the rockers/valves so I don't know why it won't rotate. Maybe I am not understanding what is the situation.
Let me know what you find about the location of all 12 valves being fully closed or not.
What shop manual are you working with? You would want to have an accurate one because there are a lot of details you need to be aware of.
Roland

QUESTION: The plantum or upper intake. Just by looking the valves look to be closed but I've not pulled the lower intake or exhaust manifolds off yet to check with light to make sure the valves are compleatly seated. I don't have a shop manual that I am using I am going on my general knowlage from working in the industry. But I've not ran across this issue yet. Would the cam caps cause the cam to seize up like this?

Answer
I am not sure what you mean by the "caps". I can only think that the cam shaft is damaged if it won't rotate. I wish I knew more about this engine but you are more knowledgeable than I. The cylinder head must be removed to remove the cam shaft via the rear of the cylinder head, according to the manual.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston