Chrysler Repair/'99 Dodge Caravan - Gear Indicator lit up

QUESTION: 99 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L 4spd

When the gear selector is in P, all gear indicators (i.e. N, P, R etc) are lit up like all of them are selected. I disconnected the negative cable, and it goes away but comes back after some time.

Thanks for your help.

ANSWER: Hi Shafique,
I believe that has to do with the information about which gear is selected is not being received at that moment by the indicator panel. If the gear shifting is working properly while you are in a drive gear selection then that is good. I'll see if I can find out anything further and let you know.

QUESTION: It has happened before (3-4 years ago) but at that time turn indicators also used to stop working (and something else that I do not remember). You told me about a 10A fuse under the dash.
But this time, it is only the instrument panel!

It may be that the switch inside the trans that tells the transcontrol module when you are in Park is flakey or its wire. But if other than the indication in park is wrong and the transmission otherwise is running properly I would not get into trying to fix it.
Try a cluster self-diagnostic test:
With ignition off press and hold trip and reset buttons.
Turn key to run position
Continue holding buttons until "code" appears in odometer window
Release buttons.
A series of tests will begin. Watch the odometer window for a three digit number at the end of the test. Let me know the number.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).