Chrysler Repair/No egr on 2.4L, '05

Roland here is my e-mail to send a copy of the location of the EGR valve on the 2005 dodge caravan 4cyl. 2.4L

Joseph replied:
Yes that is where it's normally at on every other model, but this model does not have any of what is shown where it is shown. Again I wish I could remember the website  where I saw the article that there were limited number of this vehicle that did not have the EGR valve. But that being said what else could it possibly be? The only other thing I can think of that could have affected this was the fact that a few months ago I had to have the head gasket replaced, but the engine was fine. This started only within the last month or so.

Hi Joseph,
See if you have a fault code: turn the ignition switch "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window to see if the mileage is replaced by a 4-digit number preceded by a P. Let me know.
If that doesn't show any thing new in the odometer window then get a fault code readout either for free at a nationwide auto parts store (e.g. AutoZone) or an independent shop who should do it for $40 or less. Once we have a fault code we'll know how to address this situation. The behavior is certainly what would be expected from a vacuum leak into the intake manifold which is what happens when an egr sticks open.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).