Chrysler Repair/'00 LHS 3.5 smoking timing belt cover

lhs engine bay
lhs engine bay  
QUESTION: 140K miles. Timing belt, water pump, thermostat done @ 100K.
Not the hydraulic tensioners.  An acrid smelling (hot electrical) smoke comes up from behind the cover after a short start up and run
(run time not enough to come up to temp)and also a little comes up from down at the HB pulley. Engine has coolant, there is oil weeping from a part of the fuel inj that is at the top of the timing belt inspection cover.  Very unusual or common problem.

ANSWER: Hi Walter,
I haven't heard of this before. About the only electrical item on or behind the timing belt cover is the cam shaft position sensor which does have a 5 volt supply which could smoke if being shorted. It is slightly to the left of center (right as viewing from the front) and hidden below the rectangular manifold that crosses the front of the engine.
I don't associate oil with the fuel injection system. What is the HB pulley?

QUESTION: from back in the day  HB pulley  Harmonic Balancer

Oil weeping from something I thought is identified as a fuel rail, or fuel something adjuster. It is a round thing with a linkage just to left of that dang air bleeder for coolant system. What a mickey mouse . . . . ......

Hi Walter,
Unfortunately I don't see any specific part which might be the source of an oil leak on the drawings in the manual. Could it be a valve cover gasket that is leaking? Maybe a gasket for the upper or lower intake manifold? I wish I could help but don't see where it might be.
Thanks for explaining the HB term. I appreciate the rating and nomination.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).