Chrysler Repair/'98 Concorde electrical overdraw/discharge

Question
I have a 98 Chrysler Concorde Lx  2.7 engine automatic with electrical issues. It started out by the battery died so we replaced that. Couple days later it died on the interstate would not hold a charge so replaced the alternator. The car was still having problems we checked all the fuses and the fusible link,and they are all fine.So we replaced the computer had it programmed and all that. The we charged the battery up because it had died. The car was stared and running we checked with a meter to make sure.  After it sitting over night went out to start it and it had no power. Jumped started it and let it run with the jumper cables still hooked up. After unhooking the jumper cables and letting the car run the interior lights flash, the radio flashes, and all the dash lights come on then everything dies. Other than a stick of dynamite what can we do to fix this problem?

Answer
Hi Ginny,
There is obviously a circuit that is discharging even when the vehicle is turned off. So you would want to use an amp meter to measure the "ignition off-draw" current. Place the meter between the battery - post and the - post clamp (after disconnecting them) so it views the current flow which normally should be at 50 milliamps or less after a few minutes while some circuits time-out. Then go to the power distribution box in the engine compartment and begin to remove the fuses, one at a time, to find which of them appear to be carrying most of the excess IOD current. Let me know what you learn and we'll look into what is on the circuit of the fuse(s) that are carrying the excessive current.
If you don't have an amp-meter but only an ohm-meter you can simply take both clamps off the battery and measure the resistance between those two clamps. Then try the one fuse as a time removal to find ont which fuses cause the largest increase in the resistance reading.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston