Chrysler Repair/codes p0700 and p1790

I have a 2001 dodge grand caravan which I took to shop cause it was running weirdly they put it on machine to test codes it came back with P0700 and P1790 which he told me that had to do with a transmission problem what s the best case scenario and approx. cost to the worst possible please help I need to know as much as possible so I don't get ripped off

Hi Glenda,
The 0700 often just says that there is another code related to the transmission also stored in the trans controller's memory. But then the 1790 sort of says the same thing only it does limit the possible other codes as being related to a disagreement between the speed of the transmission input (the engine rpm essentially) and the output (the speed of the wheels (as shown by the output speed sensor) which could either be due to slippage inside the transmission OR it could be a problem simply with the accuracy of either the input or the output sensors. Ideally then there should be another code which would be more specific (there are 8 such codes, two of them are about the speed sensors and 6 about internal slippage that would require a rebuild. The 1790 code is supposed to be coupled to that other code, and is stated to mean that the disagreement in the sensor speeds relative to one another is 'seen' immediately after a shift. On the other hand the 0700 can also mean that there is a fault in the transmission controller itself, but usually it just means some other code for a transmission problem is present.
So basically I don't see that you know enough yet to decide what to do. You could go back to the shop and ask them to try again because there is ambiguity about how to interpret these  results and you would like to see if there is third code. They should tell you what they think it all means.
I am reluctant to recommend that you buy a new/used transmission controller just on what you have been told so far. But if nothing else shows up in the near future then that may be the next step.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).