Chrysler Repair/Liftgate backup camera on '12 t&c van

Question
When I put the van in reverse, the video screen always said "check entire surroundings" and it would display the view from the lift-gate rear camera.  Now it displays the same message but the screen goes blank.  The first couple of times it happened screen momentarily displayed the rear view and then went blank, now it just goes blank. Do I need to replace the camera, and if so how do I get to it, or is it something else?

Answer
Hi Valerian,
My latest manual is an '09 and it shows the rear camera to be positioned just to the left of center on the liftgare in association with the license plate light socket. There is no other specific detail about its functioning or malfunction. It would likely be accessible by removing the interior panel of the liftgate and look at the license plate module. There may well be a self-diagnostic capability to identify exactly what may be the cause of the failure. That would be found by using a professional-level fault code reader that plugs into a socket under the dash. The code would be 4-digits preceded with a U. You might first go to a dealer parts counter to see if what I have described is the same for the '12 and also the cost of a replacement camera. Then decide whether to invest in the diagnosis or simply replace the camera. It has a 6-pin plug of which 3 are for the camera and two are for the license light.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston