Chrysler Repair/Liftgate backup camera on '12 t&c van

When I put the van in reverse, the video screen always said "check entire surroundings" and it would display the view from the lift-gate rear camera.  Now it displays the same message but the screen goes blank.  The first couple of times it happened screen momentarily displayed the rear view and then went blank, now it just goes blank. Do I need to replace the camera, and if so how do I get to it, or is it something else?

Hi Valerian,
My latest manual is an '09 and it shows the rear camera to be positioned just to the left of center on the liftgare in association with the license plate light socket. There is no other specific detail about its functioning or malfunction. It would likely be accessible by removing the interior panel of the liftgate and look at the license plate module. There may well be a self-diagnostic capability to identify exactly what may be the cause of the failure. That would be found by using a professional-level fault code reader that plugs into a socket under the dash. The code would be 4-digits preceded with a U. You might first go to a dealer parts counter to see if what I have described is the same for the '12 and also the cost of a replacement camera. Then decide whether to invest in the diagnosis or simply replace the camera. It has a 6-pin plug of which 3 are for the camera and two are for the license light.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).