Chrysler Repair/Stalling 3.3L engine: EGR Valve?

QUESTION: I have a 2000 chrysler voyages see 3.3l. Suddenly stalled while driving. Was fine one moment then not. It will start with no problem but will stall as soon as it is put in gear.

ANSWER: Hi Christine,
The first thing to do is check it for the presence of a fault code that the engine control module may have noticed. Turn the ignition switch "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window to see if the mileage reading is replaced by a 4-digit number preceded by a P. Let me know what you learn for that.

QUESTION: We did as u suggested with the on off and nothing happened. We tried it more then once just to make sure. There was never a code.

Hi Christine,
Did the mileage reading disappear and the word "done" appear? That would be expected if the fault code readout happened and there was indeed no stored fault code. If not, then make sure that you are doing that on-off'ing in less that 5 seconds total and leave it "on".
The other way to get a code is with a plug-in fault code reader via a socket under the dash by the steering column. If you can borrow a reader from a friend that would be a good thing to try, otherwise it means buying a reader (about $50 for a simple one) or getting to a nationwide auto parts store, such as Autozone, where they might do a readout for free. An independent shop will charge about $40 to do the readout that way but again you would have to be able to get there.
Stalling like you describe, especially when you were either slowing down or trying to accelerate or just putting it into gear, is often caused by the exhaust gas recirculation valve (EGR) which has gotten gummed up and so it fails to close tightly when it needs to (when decelerating or accelerating). And that can occur WITHOUT setting a fault code!
That valve is found on your engine at the driver's end of the engine on the corner between the end of the engine and the back side of the engine (thus at corner closest to the driver).
If you look at the exhaust manifold/pipe on that rear side of the engine you will see a small diameter exhaust pipe that branches off the manifold just where it attaches to the exhaust pipe. Follow along the narrow pipe to where it attaches to the egr valve (mounted side-ways and attached to the intake manifold). It has a round top piece with a rubber vacuum hose and then between that round top and the body of valve which is attached to small diameter pipe you will see a flange. If you look carefully at the flange area you will see a rod partially hidden from view by the flange. The rod has a circumferential slot into which you can insert the tip of a screwdriver allowing you to move the valve stem rod back and forth. Internal spring-action will be felt which is trying to close the valve. If the valve is gummed up with exhaust goo it will not close tightly and that will cause the engine to stall out.
Take a can of spray solvent, such as WD-40 and spray that on the stem where it enter the valve body. Then move the stem back and forth with the screw-driver tip to dissolve the 'goo' and loosen up the "action".
Then start the engine and see if the stalling has gone away.
Let me know how this works out for you.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).