Chrysler Repair/'97 3.3L fuel rail

As part of a larger repair I removed and changed the fuel injector "o" rings on the above. After the engine is reassembled do I need to somehow bleed the air from the fuel system before I try to start the van? I imagine that it would take a long time for the fuel injectors to bleed the air on their own. I have the Chrysler service manual but do not have a scan tool.

ANSWER: Hi Steve,
I have never read that air needed to bled from the fuel system. I believe that the normal pressurization of the fuel rail and the ease with which air would be forced from it by the incoming fuel under pressure would cause there to be a very slight delay (a few engine rpm's) to have it replaced by fuel.

QUESTION: Thanks Roland. I will run with that logic but I have a related question.

Is there a way of testing (pressurizing) the fuel system for leaks before I reassemble the rest of the engine? I would hate to have to break it down again.

Hi Steve,
All you have to do is turn the ignition key to the 'run' position and that causes the fuel pump to be actuated for 1 second which pressurizes the system. Do that several times and the pressure should reach operating level. It won't run beyond 1 second until you turn the key to the 'start' position and then it will run as long as you are cranking it over and continues to do so when the engine starts.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).