Chrysler Repair/2002 Jeep oil usage

I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty with 106,000 miles. Extremely well maintained, 1 owner, routine oil changes every 4-5,000 miles up until now. Recently I have been adding 2-3 quarts of oil every 4,000 miles. No leakage, no blue smoke, no issues seen by local Jeep dealership which does maintenance and oil changes. I mean I get that sometimes the valves and piston rings can become worn and cause this but usually there is some smoking with this and I absolutely have none. Any ideas where my oil is going? The Jeep dealership is using Pennzoil 5-30W. Thanks for any insight.

Hi Louis,
Aside from the possibility of a head gasket leak it may be as you suggested a low level of loss of oil into the combustion chambers but not so much as to cause a visible blue smoke. About the only other place, without there being external leakage, is into the cooling system due to a head gasket leak. So if the coolant appears normal I would have to believe this is just a sign of the usual wearing of rings/cylinders or valve guides with increasing mileage on the vehicle. 1,300 to 2,000 miles per quart is not unusual at 100,000 miles.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).