Chrysler Repair/'87 Dakota tailights

Hello Roland, me again. My 87 Dakota lost a tailight last night driving up from Chicago. My question is do you have a schematic showing wire colors. I was going to solder a new socket in place and have 3 wires to it. Blk/Yellow, Violet, and Brown/ Grn. Brown/ Grn show hot when the hazards are flashing, so common sense would suggest Blk/Yellow (which is dead with tail or hazard lights on) would be tail with Violet being ground. There must be a break in the wire leading to it as the other tail light works. I could probe the other light cluster to find the color but when the vehicle is banging 30 years old I learned best to leave sleeping dogs lie and not remove rusted parts unless absolutely needed. Thanks greatly Roland, you have always been a great help.

I agree that violet is ground, black/yellow is tail, and brown/green is stop/turn. So start by following the violet to be sure it is grounded to the chassis nearby. Then work your way back along the harness to find where the other two wires mesh with the left side harness.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).