Chrysler Repair/A/C compressor inop - 1997 Dodge Ram Van

Question
Have had to recharge a/c last three years.  Usually lasts thru summer.  Recharged this yr, only lasted a day.  Noticed compressor not spinning.  Checked bayonet fuse in glove box, ok, has a compressor relay in box under hood.  Don't know how to check.  Can you shed any light, please?

Answer
Hi Sheryl,
I suspect that you have a leak which has progressively worsened. When you say "recharge", how much refrigerant did you add? Does your recharge equipment have any pressure gauge? Most recharge kits have only a partial amount compared to the amount needed to fill the system.
The fact that it did work for a day suggests the system is functioning but likely there was either a marginal amount at that point or possibly loss of refrigerant to the level which when detected automatically cuts out the compressor has occurred. The capacity of the system is about 30 oz, and the refill kits usually are about 12 oz. So you could try adding another can. If that doesn't maintain the level then
you might do well to go to an AC shop and have them look at it.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston