Chrysler Repair/Chrysler Concorde surges

Question
QUESTION: I have a 2002 Chrysler Concorde LXI 3.5L 186,000 miles. Car surges and bucks upon acceleration at highway speeds or going up steep hills. No codes are stored in the computer. The sparkplugs have ~90K on them. Do you have any ideas? Thanks. Tom

ANSWER: The one item that can cause this without setting a code is the exhaust gas recirculation valve which may be gummed up and thus not closing tightly when it needs to (when accelerating or when slowing to a stop with the throttle closed). So check that out, The spark plugs at 90K could also need to be re-gapped or replaced.
Roland

QUESTION: Roland, Thank you so much for the answer to my question. That's the area I was headed to next but the no codes stored puzzled me. My question is, Is there a way to check the EGR valve for proper operation or do you have to just replace it and see if it solves your problem? Thanks again. Tom

Answer
Hi Tom,
I haven't worked on that later model of valve to see if the valve stem is accessible or not. It was on the earlier version but the drawing doesn't show it to be so. If not, then remove the valve and try to clean the area around the valve head and try squirting some WD-40 at the valve seat and then reinstall and see if that corrects this problem. There is a code for non-function of the valve but I believe the self-diagnostics will not detect the failure of complete closure of the valve. Let me know if you find the stem to be accessible by inspection from the outside or not.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston