Chrysler Repair/0733 code on LH car 42LE transmission

QUESTION: Hi my car started dropping out of gear and autozone gives me codes po 733 p.o 1790 and po700 can you tell me what those codes mean?

ANSWER: Hi Brenda,
The 733 code means that the transmission controller has noticed some sort of slipping when the transmission shifts into third gear (0733) and that it occurs shortly after the shift (1790).
There are several possible internal causes that would imply the need to remove the trans to find the cause. The only other possibility is that the solenoid/pressure switch assembly is defective and that part is replaceable without removing the transmission and is therefore a much less expensive first thing to try.
You didn't tell me the year/model so I don't know whether the assembly is on the outside of the trans or inside but still replaceable from underneath and thus doesn't require removing the trans entirely. But in either case your best bet would be to replace the solenoid/pressure switch assembly and see if that solves the problem.
The 0700 code merely corroborates that other specific codes have been noted.

QUESTION: My car is a 2002 Chrysler Concorde. Is the solenoid/pressure switch assemble on the outside or the inside of the trans? If the solenoid/pressure switch assembly is defective and I replace it but it still does the same thing, does that mean the transmission needs to be replaced or rebuilt?

Hi Brenda,
The solenoid/pressure switch assembly is inside the transmission but is removable from underneath by removal of the drain pan, and then the valve body from the transmission without removing the transmission from the vehicle for rebuilding. That assembly is the only cause of the 733 code other than removal for repair of internal parts as I read the manual so it would be worth a try to replace it. Do check the fluid level of the transmission dipstick just in case as a 1791 code (rather than that 1790) would suggest the level may be low and thus the cause of the 733.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).