Chrysler Repair/Crossfire won't crank

2005 Crossfire fails to crank. lights all work but starter will not engage. Allow to sit sometimes a few minutes and sometimes a few hours and then it will crank and start and drive fine. What needs to be replaced?

Hi Mike,
The first possibility is the battery is too weak to energize the starter motor. There is a starter relay in the power distribution box which should click when the key is turned to start. If it does and you hear no louder click at the starter motor itself then the starter solenoid switch is also not closing, probably because of the weak battery. How old is the battery compared to its warranty? Have you tried a jump start from another vehicle? Do you have a battery charger you can connect to the battery for a few hours? If the battery discharges even though in good condition then the "ignition off draw" current should be measured and if found greater than 50 mA it will then be appropriate to search for something left "on".
"Lights all work" is not an indication that the battery is strong enough to crank the starter motor.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).