Chrysler Repair/Low oil pressure light: '05 2.7L

Just bought a 2005 Sebring v6 sedan 77,000 miles. Notice low oil pressure light on at idle (800 rpm) From previous postings it seems that sending unit may be defective and fix is to drill small hole in the sending unit.
Question: Where do I find the sensor and what kind of a job to remove/replace etc.  Engine sound great, nice car but oil light causes concern.  Maybe other fix is just to confirm oil pressure with a gauge and just live with the lousy sensor .

Any thoughts?  Thanks very much

Hi Barry,
I haven't heard of drilling a small hole in the sending unit and so I would not try that approach.
The sending unit is on the right side of the engine (the side close to the firewall). It is on the engine block and is hidden by a heat shield. It is toward the rear of the engine and has a light green wire. See if it appears to be leaking. You could either simply replace it or measure the pressure with a gauge with a proper hose that screws into the socket after removing the sending unit.
You might try increasing the 'weight' of the oil one step at the next change as that would also increase the pressure in the system and solve the oil light 'on' problem that way.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).