Chrysler Repair/'00 2.5L V-6: rough idle/no codes

QUESTION: Hello Roland,

I have a 2000 stratus 2.5.
The main engine harness went bad as it melted at some points. I couldnt find a local yard that has decent one so i decided to rebuild it. It was a fun job, to say the least.

How ever I suspect i made a mistake somewhere.
May I ask if you have a diagram that I may borrow?

Thank you :)

ANSWER: Hi Pete,
I have the '99 which no doubt is identical to the '00. The diagrams are in separate sections and the one for the ignition/fuel systems is 15 pages for the 2.5L. I can copy those for $1.50 and then mail those for another 0.70. If you would send me back that total amount in stamps that would cover the costs. Tell me your postal mailing address in a follow-up question. Let me know if you need other system wiring diagrams (transmission, starting, charging, etc.). The diagrams show all the connectors and their pin numbers relevant to the systems covered by the section. Also there are connector plug wiring assignment listings. So if you can tell me exactly what harness plugs you need to know about we can focus on just those pages.
Alternatively, if there is some specific item that is not working maybe I can tell you how it is supposed to be wired.

QUESTION: Hello Roland.

I think I found the problem and fixed it with my home-made harness.
I do have however another question.

The car has a rough idle.
Let me give you a few symptons.

- No error codes
- When cold started, the idle is rough, low and often it will to shut down.
- When parked, if I step hard on the pedal, the engine hesitates and takes about half a second to respond and accelarate.
- When going uphill, if I step on the pedal I can feel a vibration, like if the timing wasen't spot on. The timing belt marks are aligned.

I hope that helps.

Thanks again.

Hi Pete,
Glad you solved the wiring problem.
Those symptoms are consistent with an exhaust gas recirculation valve (egr) that is gummed up and thus not closing tightly when is has to, e.g. when starting/slowing to a stop, accelerating.
Find the egr and notice that there is a flange between the round top piece and the body of the valve. Hidden behind the flange you will see the valve stem with a a circumferential slot. Use the tip of a screwdriver inserted in the slot to move stem back and forth, against spring-action in one direction that closes the valve. Spray WD-40 on the stem where it enters the valve body to free up the "action". Then see if that solves this problem.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).