Chrysler Repair/'99 mini-van shifting out of D

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L 4speed 219K

It has happened a few times that while driving, the van will disengage from D. At this moment, the tachometer shows the rpm but both coolant temperature and speedometer needles dive to zero (of course both are not correct as the engine is hot and van is still driving on road at some speed more than zero). Pressing gas will sound like the transmission is in N where it is showing as in D. Usually, I slow down, pull over and as soon as I put the gear selector in N, all needles go back to showing normal operation. I restart the engine and then go on like nothing happened until it happens again.

What to check first?

Hi Shafique,
The only common connection between the trans range selection, the engine temp sensor, and the speedometer would be likely the digital data bus which is a shared communication system connecting many different operation modules. I would try a fault code readout using a plug-in code reader as you have done in the past. Let me know if you get any codes.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).