Chrysler Repair/[99 Sebring: no start unless A.C. requested

QUESTION: Hi Roland,

I did not drive the Sebring for 4 days went to try to start it would not start. The starter turn when turn the key but would not start at all. I tried to press gas pedal & turn key part way at first but still not start.  Today turned key half way turned on air conditioner few seconds & it started right up. Do you have idea why?

I wrote you before when the problem was after go into store for 15 minutes the car not start til cool off you said it was the EGR valve & gave me instruction on wd40.  I did try spray it but never could get the egr off way in back of engine.

Today problem happened in the garage so I was lucky in no tow truck.  I went out in the garage while writing this to see if car start, it will NOT start unless I turn air conditioner.  I usually do not run the air condidtioner because I baby the car & try to park it always in the shade to protect the black paint that has few spots white spots starting from sun.  

Do you have idea what problem could be? Is it safe to drive farther than few miles? I worried if it not start & air conditioner not help it I might have to tow it.  Please let me know what you think.  

Thank you,

ANSWER: Hi Mike,
I don't see a reason why it should start when you activate the AC, but not when you don't. Does the AC compressor clutch actually engage when you try and start it, or only after it has started?
About the only thing I can imagine is that because the engine controller in-riches the fuel/air ratio automatically when in AC mode and that makes up for a too lean mixture with normal starting situation. So again, I would suggest that you try lubing the egr valve and move its valve stem back and forth by means of a screwdriver tip in the slot of the stem, as if it were stuck slightly ajar that would lean out the mixture and prevent starting. You might also remove the air cleaner and clean both sides of the throttle plate, the throat, and the idle air passageway on the side of the throat.
Let me know if any of these help.

QUESTION: HI Roland, I looked at the air cleaner I unhooked 4 clamps but there is no room to removed the air cleaner from plastic I notice  also the s curved plastic hose i connected in the midddle by plastic piece of hose then clamp up near back of engine it also looks like might need to remove the whole battery to get it out. Please let me know what you think

Are you trying to get to the throttle body? Which size engine do you have (L)? There is an air inlet resonator on top of the throttle body that has to be removed first.
What about the egr valve? That could be the more likely cause of the no start.
If you can get the car to a nationwide auto parts store, e.g. Autozone, you can probably get a free fault code readout done and the fault code may help diagnose this no start situation.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).