Chrysler Repair/Sebring overheats, lower radiator hose seems empty

i have a '98 sebring jxi, with the mitsubishi 2.5l v6, and i had a small radiator drain plug leak, which i since repaired. the car did overheat at that time, and i just noticed that the lower raiator hose ic cool and apparently empty. even though the hose is hot, i can compress the upper hose while the engine is hot. when i have the cap off the coolant seems to be moving well. what would cause this? the temp seems to fluctuate, getting pretty high, but cooling rapidly. can this be the thermostat, or a gummed up radiator, or a little of both?

Hi Martin,
I would suspect that the radiator is clogged. If manifold on the side where the hoses connections is hot but the far side manifold is cold then that would indicate that the cross-flow tubes are partially obstructed.  You can remove the thermostat to check that and put it into a pan of heating water to watch whether it opens as it approaches boiling.
Sorry for the long delay in responding but I just found your question in the "pool" to which Kevin had referred it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).