Chrysler Repair/uncontrolled down shifting to 2nd: '94 3-speed torqueflite

Question
Hello Roland..
 I have a 94 Dodge Spirit 2.5 liter, 3speed automatic trans. Mnemonic overdrive.
  It goes into  all of the gears smoothly. .
Well, up to 2nd.   If you get up to 50mph, and let off the gas, it will switch to 3rd.
The second you touch the pedal again... it downshift into 2nd again.
As if it is always assuming its to the floor.

Can you help?  Much thanks.

Answer
Hi Ed,
The '94 manual lists the following possibilities for "3-2 kickdown runaway" which sounds like what you are experiencing:
hydraulic pressures too low
valve body malfunction or leakage
low fluid level
aerated fluid
incorrect throttle linkage adjustment
kickdown band out of adjustment
governor support rings broken or worn
kickdown servo band out of adjustment or linkage out of adjustment
worn or faulty front clutch
As you can see there are some things to check/adjust before getting into removal of the transmission,
I can 'hard' copy applicable pages from the manual and send them to you by postal mail. That would cost 10 cents per side plus the postage. You can send me back stamps or a Paypal to cover my costs.
Let me know if you would like me to do that.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston