Chrysler Repair/'05 Crossfire clicking in engine

I have a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire. The engine is a 3.2 L M112 E32 V6 Mercedes (as in the SLK 320).  The car has 68,000 miles on the odometer. My major problem is the knocking sound that can be heard at low engine speeds (idle). The sound decreases as rpm's increase and disappears completely at around 800 rpm. It’s very hard to pinpoint where it is coming from. Also the clicking sound seems to quite some when the air conditioner is on. I use 0W-40 Mobil-1 and Mann fleece filter.
The engine runs great. I have been told by a Chrysler dealer it is the air pump and is normal for this engine. I was also told by a Mercedes dealer it is the fuel injectors and again was told it is normal for this engine. If Chrysler and Mercedes would agree on the cause I wouldn’t be concerned. The valve train has been checked out and no problems there.

The knock is not only annoying but I am concerned that it could be damaging the engine. If this knocking (clicking) is normal for this engine can the idle speed be increased? That at least would eliminate the worrisome knocking.
Thank you

Hi Don,
The idle speed is controlled by the PCM and usually cannot be changed.
The noise might be being eliminated by a slightly higher oil pressure when the rpm is raised a bit. So one thing to try would be the next higher "weight" of engine oil at your next oil change.
If you could listen with a rubber hose to localize where the sound was coming from that would be helpful. The air pump is external and can be changed out if you verify that is the source.
I have the '05 manual on a CD and can share any pages you need as attachments to an email I would send to you directly.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).