Chrysler Repair/P0755 Code?

I have a 2001 Chrysler Sebring that is just under 60K miles.  I was driving the car when the engine died suddenly. The panel lights did not come on.  I started the car and continued driving, hoping to make it home.  It died two more times within 3 miles, but I had no problems starting it up again.  
The shop I took it to said the code was a P0755 and that it would cost around $925 to replace the Solenoid pack (if it was just an electronic failure).  

After researching this code, I haven't been able to find anywhere that a symptom is the engine shutting off, only being stuck in 2nd gear/3rd gear.
Does this sound like a solenoid problem to you or should I take it elsewhere and get a 2nd opinion?

Hi Christine,
No, the 0755 shouldn't cause the engine to shut off, rather to go to "limp mode" as you found.
I would try to see if you have the self-diagnostic capability using the ignition switch: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window to see if the mileage is replaced by a 4-digit number preceded by a P or the work "done". It may work.
If there is no engine fault code it may be that the ignition switch is faulty or your key chain is too heavy and causing the intermittent shut off.
On the 0755 code, it could also be due to a harness connection between the solenoid pack and the trans control module, the ground wire of the control module, or a faulty trans control module, or a faulty module. So those should be checked before replacing the solenoid pack.
On the '00 model that solenoid pack is on the outside of the transmission and is easy to replace so I would certainly seek out another quote or two to find one that would charge for maybe an hour of labor plus the part. If you haven't been finding it shifting into limp mode lately I would delay doing anything.
Sorry for the delay in responding but I just found your question in the "pool" to which Kevin had referred it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).