Chrysler Repair/2001 Chrysler 300M repair

Question
I recently purchased A 2001 Chrysler 300M from a dealership. Recently the Heat/AC, blinkers and windows stopped working. Sometimes it comes on when I first start it other times I'll be driving and it comes on again.
Any ideas what could cause this?

Sincerely,
Laura Wilson

Answer
Hi Laura,
Sorry for the delay in answering your question which I just found in the "question pool" to which it had been referred by Kevin, the other "expert" in this category.
I looked at the wiring diagrams for the vehicle and it appears that the problem is that one of the electrical contacts inside the ignition switch is dirty or corroded so all the very items that don't work reliably are not always getting power when the key is in the "run" position. You might try getting some "electrical contact cleaner" in a spray can at an electronics store and spray inside the switch through any cracks/holes in the housing of the switch. If that doesn't cure it then replacing the switch is the next step.
To access the switch housing you would disconnect the -post clamp of the battery (just for electrical safety, but not critically necessary), then remove the screw for the steering column tile lever and remove the lever, then remove the three or four screws on the underside of the steering column shrouds which then allow the upper and lower shroud covers to be removed and thus you will get inside the column to access the switch. The switch is at the left side of the column at the other end of the ignition key switch housing because turning the key then operates the switch proper. It has a number of wires connected to it. Then look for any opening in the switch where you can insert the straw of the spray cleaner so as to spray the inside contacts.
Before doing anything though, try giggling the key to see if that might correct it, temporarily.
Roland  

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston