Chrysler Repair/Interior lights will not turn off: '86 5th Ave.

QUESTION: I have a great 1986 Chrysler Fifth Avenue that I enjoy driving.  Occasionally, when I shut the engine off and leave the car, the interior lights will not shut off after closing the door.  I have been watching this erratic behavior for 2 years now.  Many times I have returned to the car just to find a dead battery.  Today I found the lights staying on again.  I left the car alone and returned 15 minutes later to find the lights still on.  I pulled the fuse for the interior lights and reinstalled it.  I closed the door and the lights went out.  Is there a circuit board or timer that controls the interior lights?  If so, where is the circuit board and can I replace it?  Thanks in advance to anyone that can help,  John

ANSWER: Hi John,
I suspect that the push button switch in the driver's door frame is not being closed because the door latch is not securing the door tightly into the door frame. You will find a door latch striker in the door frame which is held in place by a couple of screws. Loosen the screws and move the striker in-board a couple of millimeters and then re-tighten the screws. Then notice if the lights are now off. If not, then move the striker in-board further.

QUESTION: Hi Roland,
Thank you for the great answer and it is probably the best answer you could give considering the question I sent you.  I am guilty of not posting enough information in my original question.

This 1986 Chrysler has 42,000 original miles and is a true "Cream-Puff"

I thought about the push button switch(s) not working correctly and performed many tests.  I have opened the doors individually and pushed the button switches individually for each of the 4 doors without success.  Also, there is no one-single door that this problem occurs.  The interior lights "Failure to turn off problem" occurs with the engine running (or not) and a passenger gets in (or out.  Also if a back door (left side or right side) is opened (engine running or not and/or with or without a person sitting in the front).

This is why I am thinking there is a circuit board or timer that controls the interior lighting.
Once again,  Thanks for your help,  John

Hi John,
Thanks for the additional information.
There is an 'illuminated entry relay' shown in the wiring diagrams which is described as being located at the right lower instrument panel reinforcement. It has a 30 second timer inside of it. I don't find any diagram for that under instrument panel area, but that is where it should be located. It is powered by fuse #10 so try removing that when the lights are stuck on and it should go off.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).