Chrysler Repair/power steering assist unbalanced

What causes steering to be hard when turned in one direction (left) but normal in the other? 1994 Chrysler LHS

Hi Mike,
A number of possible causes:
power steering fluid level, power steering belt loose?
many possible mechanical friction levels in the ball joints/tie rod ends
steering column binding
excessive friction inside the steering gear
an internal pressure valve of the gear is out of balance.
The steering gear can be tested for pressure but it requires some tools to do it correctly and safely. If the front end has been lubricated recently, and the fluid level and belt are OK, then I would suspect the gear itself has a fault with the pressure valve.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).