Chrysler Repair/'00 minivan blows ASD fuse

Question
Our van keeps blowing the engine fuse. When the ASD is in it the engine fuse blows but when it's out it doesn't blow...we can't even turn the key on and the engine fuse blows with the ASD in....with it out it won't turn over. What's causing this? We really need thus van since it is the only thing we have to drive

Answer
Hi Kay,
I suspect that there is a short circuit of the current from that fuse located at one or the other of the heated oxygen sensors located along the exhaust system. Those sensor's wires are very fragile and easily broken. So check those 4 wires on each of the sensors to see if one of them is shorted to a piece of metal. Otherwise the fuel injectors and the spark coil are also supplied by the same fuse so you could try unplugging those two circuits and see whether the fuse stops blowing if you don't find a problem with the oxygen sensors. One of the sensors is on the exhaust manifold itself and the other is immediately following the catalytic converter.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston