Chrysler Repair/'00 minivan blows ASD fuse

Our van keeps blowing the engine fuse. When the ASD is in it the engine fuse blows but when it's out it doesn't blow...we can't even turn the key on and the engine fuse blows with the ASD in....with it out it won't turn over. What's causing this? We really need thus van since it is the only thing we have to drive

Hi Kay,
I suspect that there is a short circuit of the current from that fuse located at one or the other of the heated oxygen sensors located along the exhaust system. Those sensor's wires are very fragile and easily broken. So check those 4 wires on each of the sensors to see if one of them is shorted to a piece of metal. Otherwise the fuel injectors and the spark coil are also supplied by the same fuse so you could try unplugging those two circuits and see whether the fuse stops blowing if you don't find a problem with the oxygen sensors. One of the sensors is on the exhaust manifold itself and the other is immediately following the catalytic converter.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).