Chrysler Repair/Engine Stall After Every Refuel: '07 Patriot

Question
QUESTION: Hi Roland, I have a 2007 Jeep Patriot Limited 2.4L.  I just purchased it from a Chrysler dealer last week, has 130K miles and was sold without a warranty.  My only complaint is the engine stall after every refuel.  Iíve seen other complaints online pointing to a faulty rollover valve.  Have also seen a recall for 2012 Patriots and Compass, NHTSA recall # 12V142000.  That recall has me worried due to a possibility of fuel leakage and subsequent fire.  Iím a DIY and have dropped several gas tanks on other vehicles.  I canít find this part for this vehicle.  Do you have any suggestions?  I purchased this vehicle for my daughter and obviously want to make sure itís safe for her.  Any help would be much appreciated.

ANSWER: Hi Tom,
I have the '07 Dodge Caliber manual which I understand is similar to the Patriot. However I don't find a mention of the 'rollover valve' in the index.
Have you tried for a fault code? Often you can use the ignition switch:
"on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window to see if the mileage reading is replaced by a 4-digit number preceded by a P. Let me know and I can look that up in the Caliber manual.
Roland
PS: The Caliber manual shows procedure for removing the fuel tank, and it has 28 Steps! I could copy those pages and send them to you as attachments to an email, but it is a bit of work. Let see if you get a fault code first.

QUESTION: Hi Roland, Thanks for your quick response.  I checked for fault codes per your procedure and I used my code reader [Autel AL519], no codes were found.  Please send me your tank removal procedure.  I was able to find some info from a Patriot service manual.  It mentions that this models gas tank has, 360ļ rollover protection which includes 1 or 2 check valves located on the top of the tank to prevent loss of fuel.  Here's some additional info: http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t29898_ds631498  Any additional info from you would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Answer
Hi Tom,
I need to know your email address as it is not provided to me by Allexperts. When you tell me don't use the @ symbol, instead use "at" or the address will be erased. Also recall that this is from the Caliber manual and can't be sure it is identical though Allpar described the vehicles as similar.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston