Chrysler Repair/IOD removed/faint noise: UK minivan

I have a 1999 UK spec voyager. The battery frequently goes flat if the car isn't used for a few days. Just read about removing the IOD fuse to preserve battery life. When I tried it I got a very faint siren noise from somewhere in the engine compartment. It sounds like a tiny alarm going off!
Is this normal and is it still safe to leave the fuse unplugged?

Hi Eric,
I don't have a manual for the UK spec vehicle. The faint siren/tiny alarm sound is not mentioned in the US manual. I know of no reason why the IOD fuse cannot be removed other than that the security system will not work as it is powered by the IOD and also how much current and for how long faint siren/alarm will go on.
If the car is not driven for about 20 days it will typically drain the battery due to the systems that are used even with the ignition off. To test if the system is draining more current than it should you can place a multi-ammeter between the - post of the battery and the clamp for the - post after having removed the clamp from the battery. Measure the current draw about a half-hour after removing the clamp to allow all the systems that stay on briefly after the car is shut down to go down or off as expected. At that point there is a residual current that should be somewhere between 5 and 25 mA if everything is proper. More than 25 mA suggests that there is a short circuit or other electrical problem that is drawing excessive current when the engine is off. Then you would need to remove any of the fuses that provide the off-draw current to see which one is drawing too much current and then determine which of the items on the offending fuse is the cause of the over-draw.
Let me know if you find that to be the case.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).