Chrysler Repair/IOD removed/faint noise: UK minivan

Question
Hi
I have a 1999 UK spec voyager. The battery frequently goes flat if the car isn't used for a few days. Just read about removing the IOD fuse to preserve battery life. When I tried it I got a very faint siren noise from somewhere in the engine compartment. It sounds like a tiny alarm going off!
Is this normal and is it still safe to leave the fuse unplugged?
Thanks
Eric

Answer
Hi Eric,
I don't have a manual for the UK spec vehicle. The faint siren/tiny alarm sound is not mentioned in the US manual. I know of no reason why the IOD fuse cannot be removed other than that the security system will not work as it is powered by the IOD and also how much current and for how long faint siren/alarm will go on.
If the car is not driven for about 20 days it will typically drain the battery due to the systems that are used even with the ignition off. To test if the system is draining more current than it should you can place a multi-ammeter between the - post of the battery and the clamp for the - post after having removed the clamp from the battery. Measure the current draw about a half-hour after removing the clamp to allow all the systems that stay on briefly after the car is shut down to go down or off as expected. At that point there is a residual current that should be somewhere between 5 and 25 mA if everything is proper. More than 25 mA suggests that there is a short circuit or other electrical problem that is drawing excessive current when the engine is off. Then you would need to remove any of the fuses that provide the off-draw current to see which one is drawing too much current and then determine which of the items on the offending fuse is the cause of the over-draw.
Let me know if you find that to be the case.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston