Chrysler Repair/Transmission will not move when in "D": Pt Cruiser

My daughter recently got into a fender bender-she owns a 2006 PT Cruiser. The grill was completely cracked and the radiator slightly pushed back. Now when the car is put in "D" it will not move. When in reverse and in"3" the car will move. Any ideas?

Hi Manny,
It is possible that the collision caused a mal-adjustment of the gear shift cable so try putting the shift lever slightly off-center from the detent position when in "D" to see if that will restore that gear function.
Otherwise I would suggest that you do a fault code readout using the ignition key: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapased time. Then watch the odometer window of the speedometer to see the mileage reading replaced by a 4-digit fault code number(s) preceded by a P. Let me know what you find and we'll go from there.
The transmission does have a self-diagnostic capability so it may be that there is a fault code stored in its module's memory that will suggest what is wrong.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).