Chrysler Repair/Transmission will not move when in "D": Pt Cruiser

Question
My daughter recently got into a fender bender-she owns a 2006 PT Cruiser. The grill was completely cracked and the radiator slightly pushed back. Now when the car is put in "D" it will not move. When in reverse and in"3" the car will move. Any ideas?

Answer
Hi Manny,
It is possible that the collision caused a mal-adjustment of the gear shift cable so try putting the shift lever slightly off-center from the detent position when in "D" to see if that will restore that gear function.
Otherwise I would suggest that you do a fault code readout using the ignition key: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapased time. Then watch the odometer window of the speedometer to see the mileage reading replaced by a 4-digit fault code number(s) preceded by a P. Let me know what you find and we'll go from there.
The transmission does have a self-diagnostic capability so it may be that there is a fault code stored in its module's memory that will suggest what is wrong.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston