Chrysler Repair/'10 Town and Country: rear liftgate

Question
Hello,
I have a 2010 Chrysler Town and Country Van. 3.8L.
For a few days now I have been unable to open the rear gate. It opens a few inches and then stops. My husband has looked at the arms, and feels that the driver's side arm is holding it down. The passenger side arm seems to b moving freely.
The button on the fob releases the lock on the gate but does not raise the gate. The button inside the vehicle releases the lock as well, but does not raise the gate.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you
Claudia

Answer
Hi Claudia,
Sorry for the delay in responding to your question which I just found in the "question pool" to which it had been referred by Kevin, the other expert in this category at Allexperts.
The best thing to do to start the repair would be to have a diagnostic fault code readout of the vehicle's liftgate control module. There are several possible reasons for the problem and by so-doing we would then know what part of the liftgate is needing servicing. A diagnostic fault code reader is the device that is needed to do the readout and a well-equipped repair shop will have such a code reader. They may charge about $40 to do the readout. Find out what fault code(s) and their fault code number(s) are present at this time. Then let me know and we can look up the details of what should be done next.
I have the Mitchell brand minivan repair manuals for the years '09 and '11 and the details about the various possible code responses are shown there.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston