Chrysler Repair/Electronic Transmission quick learn without a DRB?

Can I perform a transmission quick learn without drb scanner? 1997 Dodge grand caravan. 3.3. Any procedures to follow?

Hi Alvin,
No, the 'quick learn' requires the drb III scanner. However the transmission nonetheless will learn its characteristics with usage so just take it easy for a few tens of miles of local driving and it will learn from "experience".
Prior to '95, the procedure using the drb II was to do 15-20 accelerations from standing to 45 miles per hour while maintaining a constant throttle opening of 25% which was 'revealed' to you via the drb II. Then do 5 to 8 full throttle downshifts beginning at 25 mph, trying to allow 5 seconds each in 3rd and in 2nd gear. That was the learning procedure, so you could try these as a possible alternative to not having a drb.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).