Chrysler Repair/misfire code: 0305; 0171, 0174

Question
1999 Dodge Grand Caravan 160K V6

The engine trembles at idle (at least at higher rpms,it is not noticeable). Following codes are given:
P0305, P0316, P0171 and P0174
Service Engine light on
The local mechanics says that cylinder 5 is misfiring and they need to take the head out to see if the injector or something else is not working properly. It is a costly job so I want to ask your opinion. Please note the following:

I recently went on a 1900 miles round trip, cleared the codes before leaving and service engine light did not come on the entire trip. Coming back to town, the light is on and codes are set after driving in town. Also, the fuel consumption in town is excessive (on highway it was ok or usual).
Thanks

Answer
Hi Shafique,
The cylinder 5 is misfiring and the likelihood is that the fuel injector is not working properly for that cylinder. The 0171 and 0174 say that the fuel mixture is lean on that same side of the engine which supports the fuel injector theory.
Did they check that the compression on that cylinder is within spec? That would be good to do before working on the injector. I don't find there to be an 0316 code so you might re-check that for a correct number.
You do have to remove the intake manifold to replace the fuel injector, not the cylinder head.
But unfortunately that is a job that involves about 25 individual 'steps' to do and to then again 25 to re-install. So be sure you have a competent shop to do it right. I can send you the pages that describe the steps, but I need to know your email address (don't use @, rather use "at" if you tell me that.
Have them check the wiring to the #5 injector and if that is good then it would appear that the injector needs to be verified by removing the intake manifold, after the compression test is OK and the spark plug is verified to be firing.
Because of the cost of the manifold job you might try using a can of injector cleaner in the fuel tank to see if that changes things.
I have no explanation for the history except the possibility that it was coincidental.
Thanks for the rating and nomination.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston