Chrysler Repair/'04 Pacifica power liftgate

Question
Hi,I have a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica that I purchased used about 4 months ago. The power liftgate will not open either with the FOB key or with the overhead console button. It has not opened since I bought it. When I push the button,I can hear a noise inside the gate and there is a beeping telling me it received the signal, but it will not open at all except manually from inside the car with a screwdriver. Is this a problem with the actuator motor that locks the tailgate shut or with the door motor itself which I found is inside the drivers side column. Thank you for any help with this!

Answer
Hi Dale,
The liftgate has its own control module which is capable of recognizing troubles and reporting them as faults (either by name or by a fault code number). To access the fault listing you need to do a fault readout of the body control module which is done by plugging a diagnostic readout box or fault code reader into a multi-pin socket under the dash and requesting to know what faults have been logged. A shop-grade reader is needed and an independent shop will generally do the readout for about $40. A nationwide auto parts dealer (e.g. Autozone) will often do a readout for free if one is near to you but the reader needs to be able to access the body fault codes.
Ask for the fault code names and associated numbers and then let me know them. I have the manual that tells how to trouble shoot each of the possible codes, so that is where we would start the repair process.
There is no point in going about this without a fault code readout as it is too compex a system to plunge into without some hint of where to start.
Roland
PS Thanks for the rating and nomination, Dale. I should mention that the two fuses that power the liftgate system and # 4 and 11 so you might first want to check both of those.  

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston