Chrysler Repair/2005 Chrysler Town and Country sun visor

QUESTION: Hello Roland,

I ordered a replacement driver side sun visor for my 2005 Town & Country 3.3 base model because mine is broken and would no longer go back up. I know how to unscrew the old one and pull it down but it looks like there is a wire up there that connects to the vanity mirror. Can you tell me if I will need to do anything special or if there are any tips that will help me? Is it just a matter of disconnecting a wire up there and connecting to the new visor assembly?

The wires (2 of them) appear in the wiring diagram to be connected to the visor by a plug which should be straightforward to disconnect and the reconnect to the new visor. So look for the plug on the visor.

new visor
new visor  

I appreciate your quick response. I just received the replacement visor and it does not have a light with the mirror. What should I then do with the wires that are currently connected to the old visor? Do I just wrap them in electrical tape and leave them disconnected? I attached a picture of the visor that I received in case you want to see it. There is no light.

The wire at the visor appears to be "hot" in parallel with the right visor lamp and the reading lamp switch (which may be all the time even when the car is not running). So you would have to either simply cover over the connector or remove the connector and instead cover over the wires themselves and then push the wires back inside the panel from which they emerge. There is a splice near the right side visor where all the wires branch off from, but its exact location is not shown and also all the wires are the same color code so it isn't obvious as to which one goes to the left visor (which you could if necessary trace via an ohmmeter). But I would be inclined to just safely cover over the plug or each of the wires separately and hide them from view.
PS Please consider giving me a rating and nomination.

visor wire
visor wire  
QUESTION: Hi Roland, I hope you are enjoying your day. One more question hopefully about my visor. I have attached a picture and you can see what I am looking at. I don't see any way to disconnect this. Since my new visor does not have the vanity light, is it ok to just cut the wires and then wrap them up and tuck them back in?

Hi Dan,
Going well, thank you.
If you are sure that the round black object that the wires attach into is not a removable from the visor plug, then cutting the wires is alright. But one of the wires is probably "hot", and the black wire is a ground, so you don't want those 2 wires to touch. Cut one wire at a time and wrap each up separately.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).