Chrysler Repair/'95 New Yorker: loss of power accessories

Question
Hi Roland:

My 1995 Chrysler New Yorker (base model 3.5L) is experiencing the intermittent loss of certain
power accessory functions. Sometimes when I start the car, the digital display on the automatic
climate control panel goes dead, there is no power to the rear window defogger, power windows
stop operating and the ABS light comes on and stays on. I have also discovered that if I turn the engine off then turn the key to the 'run' position' all functions work properly again and the ABS light goes off. On several occasions when this problem happens I have turned off the ignition then re-started the car and all functions work correctly until the next episode. On a few other occasions, the re-starting trick has worked for a few kilometres then the power accessory functions stop working while the car is moving. Equally strange is that sometimes several weeks might pass between
episodes. Thanks for any insights you can offer into this fascinating but troubling electrical
poltergeist!

- John

Answer
Hi John,
It is likely that one section of the ignition switch (there are several sections to the switch) has poor contacts. Specifically all the items you list, plus some others you haven't noticed yet, are powered by a black/orange wire that comes out of the switch and goes to the fuse block at the left end of the dash to fuses 6,7,21,22. You will find those fuses to be "cold" when the problem occurs. One large fuse in the power box in the engine compartment (fuse J) provides voltage to that specific section in the ignition switch, so take a look at that fuse to be sure the internal wire isn't cracked and thus intermittent, and you can check it for voltage being absent when the problem occurs.
If the fuse seems solid, then you could try to improve the contacts inside the ignition switch:
Remove the tilt lever by removing its screw. Remove the shrouds on the steering column (screws on the underside); the switch is on the opposite side of the column from the key cylinder.  Then using a spray can of electrical contact cleaner use the straw applicator to spray cleaner inside the switch through and cracks or holes in the housing of the switch. That may clean up the internal switch contact problem but if not then buy a replacement ignition switch.
Roland  

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston