Chrysler Repair/Axle Seal leaking: Pacifica AWD

Hello I have a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica touring AWD. I had just replaced the transmission and ptu, bought used low miles. I had outfitted them with all new seals and had a professional shop install the units. I had gotten it back and it runs great but it leaks atf from the passenger side axle seal on the ptu. From my understanding there is an outer seal, carrier bearing, and then an inner seal. I put a new seal in before the unit was put in, still leaked, so I just replaced it again in my driveway. Still leaking. I didn't use the special tool to drive in the seal like alldata states to use. I was wondering if that tool is needed to properly install the seal? If so, why? And then if it's the ones seal that could be bad, how do I replace it because it looked impossible without tearing into the guts of the ptu. Thanks for your time, any help is appreciated.

Hi Matt,
According to the manual I have (Chrysler 2006) the ptu half shaft has 2 seals, an inner and an outer. The manual does list the 6536a tool for installing the outer seal but doesn't make any special point about why it should be used, along with the C-4171 driver handle. I suppose it could be damaged if the tool wasn't used because of its large diameter.
The inner seal is only replaceable by removing the ptu and opening it up. If trying another outer seal and use of the 6536a tool still doesn't work then you may have to do the inner seal, unfortunately.
I can copy the pages and attach them to an email I would send to you directly. But I need to know to know your email address. If you tell me it, don't use the @ symbol but rather use "at" or it will be erased automatically.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).