Chrysler Repair/Axle Seal leaking: Pacifica AWD

Question
Hello I have a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica touring AWD. I had just replaced the transmission and ptu, bought used low miles. I had outfitted them with all new seals and had a professional shop install the units. I had gotten it back and it runs great but it leaks atf from the passenger side axle seal on the ptu. From my understanding there is an outer seal, carrier bearing, and then an inner seal. I put a new seal in before the unit was put in, still leaked, so I just replaced it again in my driveway. Still leaking. I didn't use the special tool to drive in the seal like alldata states to use. I was wondering if that tool is needed to properly install the seal? If so, why? And then if it's the ones seal that could be bad, how do I replace it because it looked impossible without tearing into the guts of the ptu. Thanks for your time, any help is appreciated.

Answer
Hi Matt,
According to the manual I have (Chrysler 2006) the ptu half shaft has 2 seals, an inner and an outer. The manual does list the 6536a tool for installing the outer seal but doesn't make any special point about why it should be used, along with the C-4171 driver handle. I suppose it could be damaged if the tool wasn't used because of its large diameter.
The inner seal is only replaceable by removing the ptu and opening it up. If trying another outer seal and use of the 6536a tool still doesn't work then you may have to do the inner seal, unfortunately.
I can copy the pages and attach them to an email I would send to you directly. But I need to know to know your email address. If you tell me it, don't use the @ symbol but rather use "at" or it will be erased automatically.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston