Chrysler Repair/check engine light on: '04 Chrysler 300m

Question
I have a 2004 Chrysler 300M with 69,785 miles.The engine is a 3.5 high output v6.The car is kept in the garage and maintenance is done always.A couple of days ago the check engine light came on and stayed on.Changed the oil and filter that really didn,t need it but did it anyway. Checked tightness of gas cap,light still on. Ran a computer diagnostic and it stated that there was a leak in the av system.The mechanic that checked the problem said it was something that wouldn,t hurt to drive the car but to get it checked out by a pro.I consider all warning lights in my vehicle to be important and shouldn,t be taken lightly.Please email me back with your thoughts. Thanks

Answer
Hi Charles,
If the only fault code the mechanic saw from his readout was related to the audio/visual system (a/v?) then I would not be concerned about driving the car. But I wonder whether such a code would cause a "check engine" light.
Try reading out the codes yourself: turn the ignition key "On-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window to see the mileage reading replace by a 4-digit code number preceded by a P. Let me know any such numbers you find and we'll go from there.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston