Chrysler Repair/Alternator Diagnostics on 92 Lebaron

Question
Hi Roland,

My son recently took my '92 Lebaron convertible out of state and the car quit.  He coasted into a shopping center which had a Pep Boys auto parts with repair bays.  He asked them to check it out and give cost of repair.  They said the alternator was bad, not keeping battery charged.  They replaced alternator and then told him they thought his computer was bad.  He called me and I told him to get them to put his alternator back on and rent a car.  Later we loaded on a dolly and pull home.

I took the battery out, recharged, and cranked up.  With the car idling the voltage across battery terminals is 12.6 v.  As this is about battery voltage, it appears the alternator for some reason isn't keeping the battery charged.

I've removed cowling on passenger side and removed PCM.  There didn't appear to be any corrosion on either side of the two plugs.  However for good measure I sprayed contact cleaner on male and female parts of both.  After drying I reinstalled, cranked car and again measured voltage across battery terminals with car idling.  Once again I got 12.6 volts which was constant even when idle speed is increased.

I did the diagnostic test twice.  Both times I got 3,4,55. I think
I recall you posting that the 55 means end of test sequence?  What is this test telling me?

Thanks for your input!

William

Answer
Hi William,
The code 34 is about the cruise control circuits. If that is working then you may have not seen a pause in the 3  and in the 4 so check again. The 55 is end of readout. The codes for the alternator are 41, 46, or 47 which are problems of the alternator field circuit, voltage too low and voltage too high.

I would check to be sure the there is 12.6 on the black/gray wire at the alternator, and 12.6 at the dark blue when the engine is running, and that the dark blue wire is connected to pin 20 of pcm plug.

Let me know what you find.

Roland  

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston