Chrysler Repair/'04 Sebring Conv.: Won't start tried everything

Question
I have a 2004 Chrysler Sebring Convertible LXI 2.7. My car was idling and quit. It wont start now. The battery is charged and all the lights come on strong. Ive had problems with Fuse 8 under the hood off and on with it always blowing but Ive replaced that again and the other fuses as well. It seems these cars are known for this issue. I was told it may be the relay for the ignition so I changed it that was not the problem. My boyfriend shook the wire to the starter and it finally started clicking and even tried to turn over. Please help.. What do you think the problem is and how can I fix it. My boyfriend is handy with cars but has little experience with this kind of all electrical car. Getting to the starter would be a good start. Thank You...Roxanne

Answer
Hi Roxanne,
I assume that the starter motor is not responding to your attempt to start the car.
Fuse 8 (20 amp) has several important functions: It powers the starter motor solenoid switch at the starter motor by sending current through the starter motor relay and from there on a brown wire that you will find at the starter motor proper. The starter motor is best seen from under the car, located at interface between the engine and the transmission on the side of powertrain which is closer to the front of the car (the left side of the engine).  You can jump a wire from the battery + post to that brown wire at the starter motor which should cause the starter motor to activate. The starter relay, itself in the power box in the engine compartment will click when you try the starter position with the key which then sends current to the starter motor on the brown wire. So listen for whether that relay 'clicks' when you try the key, and whether the solenoid switch at the brown wire of the starter motor also clicks, more loudly.
The Fuse 8 also powers the fuel pump via the fuel pump relay in the power box. That relay should click when you turn the key to the run position, but then it will unclick after about a second or so (the fuel pump should be heard for that same 1 second, and then it would click again when you turn the key to the start position, assuming that the starter motor begins to rotate the engine).
Fuse 8 also powers a couple of sections of the ignition switch which of course need to be powered to operate the electronics of the engine for the engine to catch and run. So be sure that fuse 8 is not blown.
So let me know exactly what items are 'clicking' or responding/not responding when you try these approaches.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston