Chrysler Repair/]94 Voyager HVAC Vacuum actuator

QUESTION: Roland, I have a 1994 Voyager.  The a/c will only come out of the defrost, and slightly from the cabin vents and floor vents.  I suspect it's the actuator.  When on the rare occasion the cabin vents do work, as I go up a hill, all air flow goes to the defrost vents.  Also, for the past couple of years, bits of foam blow out from the vents.  Where are the actuators located?  Is this a repair I can make, or should I take it to a professional?  Appreciate any help you can offer.

ANSWER: Hi Steve,
First locate the vacuum line that runs from the engine (possibly branching off from the power brake canister), through the center of the fire wall to the left side of the HVAC and check to be sure there is an air-tight vacuum supply to operate the mode door.
If that proves out, then the under-dash panel at the right should be removed to give you access to the left side of the HVAC housing, next to the accelerator. You will find the actuators there and you can check out their "action". I can copy and postal mail you the pages that show the system if you need them.

QUESTION: Thanks a million, Roland, for your FAST response.  Regarding the bits of foam, my thought was that it is from the insulation around the diversion doors.  Is that possible, and if it is, if the doors don't make a complete seal, would that cause my problem?

Also, you mention taking off the right under-dash panel to access the left side of the HVAC housing.  How does the panel come off?

Thanks for the offer to mail the diagrams to me.  I'm simply not that sophisticated to be able to read them, though I do very much appreciate your support.

Hi Steve,
I don't know about the foam issue but I would want to verify that the door actuators are working first. You could remove the actuators and feel the motion of the various doors to be sure that they are not binding up. It is a big job to repair inside the HVAC unit as the dash has to be me majorly disassembled to remove that.
The under dash panel in question is the one that is positioned below the steering column and you will find it easier to disconnect the hand brake release cable from the lever and then the 5 screws that hold it in place. That should allow you to see the left side of the HVAC housing.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).