Chrysler Repair/Excessive "off draw" is draining battery

I have a 2006 pt cruiser. Battery light came on. After testing at auto parts store we replaced alternator and battery. Still does not work. If we charge battery it will drain the less than an hour. Need some advise please. I am retired and cannot afford to buy another car.
Thank you.

Hi Patty,
There is a circuit which is draining the battery and you need to identify which one it is. In other words even though the ignition switch is "off" there is something that is drawing too much current, such as the trunk light bulb or the circuit for the door unlocking action. There is allowed to be a small amount of current but not so much as to drain the battery overnight.
You will need either an ammeter (measures current in milli-amp amounts) or an ohmmeter (measures resistance in ohms).
If you have an ammeter, you would remove the clamp on the + post of the battery and then put the leads of the meter between the + post and the clamp that you removed and see what the reading is showing.
If you have an ohm meter you would remove the + post clamp and put your meter leads between the clamp and the - post of the battery (which is still connected to the battery) and measure the ohms.
Then once you know either reading. then you would start removing the fuses in the power box, one fuse at a time, until you find one that causes a major decrease in the reading (if you are measuring milli-amps) or a major increase in the reading (if your meter is reading the ohms). Let me know when you find such a fuse and tell me the readings before and after you remove the fuse. Then we can examine what items are connected to that fuse to see what is wrong.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).