Chrysler Repair/Mid '90's 42LE trans on LH body sedan

Question
Hi Roland, I have a '95 Chrysler LHS 3.5L engine 4dr sedan. Has 105,000 miles. The transmission is on it's way out. It started going in to limp mode about  a year ago and I was able to return to normal using handbook method, park and restart.Not any more,and reverse just faded away as I was backing up the driveway. As I understand,'95  was the year that automakers were starting to make a  lot of changes electronically (more computers) to eng./trans. The '95 model LHS had the worst transmission in the entire production run. I read the owner testimonials.
I really like this car the engine is tight,everything else is working perfectly.  Finally my question, if I can't get anyone  to make repairs  to this  trans is it possible to  replace with a  modified version of same? This was such a big problem with '95's I'm surprised there wasn't a recall. I really don't want to replace with new or reconditioned if  this problem hasn't been fixed  in the exchange.Any advise on testing  that is available or repairs possible I am great full.I can't afford a new car, and buying a  used  car in the same price range as  the replace estimates  of 1500-2500 wouldn't get  me anything near what I have now,so again thanks for any advise!

Answer
Hi Bill,
I was not familiar with what you have learned about the '95 transmission. I see from my service manuals that the '94 and '98 and '04 models all use the 42LE transmission so I would usually assume that transmissions from the timeframe would be interchangeable. Have you spoken to a parts counter at a dealer to see if they know of improvements that took place in the mid-90's and whether there is a good year to consider getting? Then you might find a wreck with that trans in it but of course it would be uncertain as to what condition it was in. Probably you would do well to also change out the TCM if you get one with a different year than your '95.
But I would not give up on your present transmission:
Have you done a fault code readout to get an idea of what might be the codes?  For example, the solenoid/pressure switch assembly can be removed and replaced by dropping it out from the bottom of the transmission and does not require removal of the entire transmission, were that the cause for your limp/no reverse situation. So getting a fault code number would be the first step to consider. There is a blue, six-pin socket under the dash to the right of the steering column which gives you access to the ccd data bus and an OBD-1 code reader with that plug will let you get the 2-digit fault code readings. Let me know what numbers you get.
I'll be interested to learn what you find which will give you some direction as to what to do.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston