Chrysler Repair/'03 gr caravan: a.c. re-charging/compressor

Question
QUESTION: Hi, again.

trying to add R134, compressor cycles on and off very quickly. how do i get it to take some refrigerant?

thanks

Dan

ANSWER: Hi Dan,
Does the device you are using have a gauge to show the pressure in the system, and did it come with instructions for usage? It could be there is a problem with the compressor, but I am not expert in AC or its recharging.
It could be that the system has too low a pressure at present,
Did you set the AC to max cool position, and the fan in the cabin to max?  Shake can well, then position it upright (12 o'clock)then open trigger that begins the dispense, and rotate  the can from 12 to 3 o'clock and back every few seconds. If after about 1/2 can is dispensed this way and the compressor still doesn't come on steadily, then there is probably a problem in the system. If it now runs steady, then finish emptying the can and turn it over for one further minute, then remove.
Roland

QUESTION: It does have a gauge, but it only reads when the compressor is running. I have not been able to get the refrigerant flowing out of the can to get a half can in. It does not get cold at all.

Some say to jump the relay and run the compressor, but others say that is dangerous for the compressor, because that is why it is shut off.

Thanks

Dan

ANSWER: I think it would be permissible to 'jump' the relay and dispense half a can that way and then see if the relay will close by itself at that point or not. Jump from pin 30 (rear-inboard) to pin 87 (front-outboard) of the relay socket after removing the relay.

QUESTION: Hi, again.

Did not succeed in jumping relay pin 30 to 87. Used a sturdy paper clip, but compressor did not come on. Put relay back in and compressor kicked on for five seconds. Checking power -- Have power at pin 30 but no power at plug harness down by compressor.

Much thanks.

Dan

Answer
Hi Dan,
Pin 30 should always show 12v at it is connected to the battery via fuse 27. Pin 87 of the compressor clutch relay socket has a dark blue/yellow wire that connects to pin 1 of the plug at the compressor, so if you jumped correctly at the relay socket you should then find 12v on pin 1 at the compressor plug. Pin 2 at the compressor plug (black/gray) should be connected to ground in order to complete circuit to actuate the compressor. So check out the voltages and the continuity to ground and between pin 87 and the compressor plug pin 1. If you are jumping across the relay socket correctly the compressor should activate.
If you would be so kind as to rate/nominate me that would be appreciated.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston