Chrysler Repair/'91 IMPERIAL DIGITAL DASH SMOKED AND IS NOW BLANK

Question
HI,saw your site and would like to know if you have heard of a digital dash smoking up the car.. smoke came out of top left side of dash while driving and now the cluster is completely blank..everything else works fine,just speedometer, gauges and odometer are out... also the smoke smelled like a ballast in a flourescent fixture.. any help greatly appreciated...Thanks

Answer
Hi Lee,
I haven't heard of that being a common problem. But I suspect that a component shorted out in the cluster. There are no detailed wiring diagrams for it but inspection of the circuit board might indicate where the failure occurred. if you can locate replacement at a wrecking yard that would likely be the least expensive way to go, but I have heard also of companies that repair them though I don't have any specifics.  Do you want details on removing it?
Roland
I just did the copying and put the pages in the mail, Wednesday afternoon.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston