Chrysler Repair/Speedo reading wrong

Question
Hi Roland-

1982 Chrysler Lebaron. 2.6/auto.

The speedometer in this car has always seemed to read slow. The needle was kind of "jumpy" at slow speeds so I pulled the cables out (1 is from transmission to cruise control box, 1 from box to speedometer head in dash)and re-greased them thinking the cable was binding and giving me the slower readings. Jumpiness is gone but speedometer still reads slow. According to a Garmin GPS that I borrowed when the speedometer says 55mph I am only doing 50 mph. 25mph and the Garmin says 21mph. Tires are original size from what I looked up.

Is there any way to adjust the speedometer to match the actual speed?

Thanks,
Jim

Answer
Hi Jim,
I have the '83 manual but found nothing about correcting inaccuracy of the speedometer. If the tires are the proper size then about all I can believe could be done would be to see if there are different size pinion gears available for the automatic transmission. It appears those could be exchanged out if so without very much work. A dealer parts department would be the only place I can suggest that you check out for that. Let me know if you find a source for such a gear and I can copy the page about changing it out, but also tell ne which transmission you have. But if the odometer is accurate, then the problem is not the gear, but basically the speedometer unit itself. You could see if there is any sort of adjustable feature inside the speedometer proper were that the case.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston