Chrysler Repair/1982 Chrysler spare tire

Question
1982 Chrysler Lebaron convertible 2.6/auto

Have a spare tire (space saver, 60 psi type) that slowly losses air. Have taken it to the tire shop twice and they say the bead is disintegrating (it is 30+ years old  but looks new) and I need a new spare. Suggested I get a spare from a newer model at a salvage yard but didn't know what models to look for. Called the salvage yards and they need to know year/make/model to see if they have one. It is a 4 bolt rim. Do you know what newer model car spare tire would fit to check the salvage yards?

Thanks,
Jim

Answer
Hi Jim,
I believe that many Chrysler Corp cars of the 1980's would have a spare that is identical to yours. My approach would be to visit a wrecking yard and look into the trunk of all such vehicles to see whether a spare tire identical to yours is there or not. There are only a maybe 3 such sized compact spares offered for the wheels that you have (14" I presume) so the chances are good you will find one at the yard. Bring along a tire gauge to see whether there is any pressure in it as an initial test of whether its bead is in good condition. Another possibility would be to see whether you can buy an inner tube that might fit properly inside your present tire.
Thanks for the rating/nomination.
Roland  

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston