Chrysler Repair/1982 Chrysler spare tire

1982 Chrysler Lebaron convertible 2.6/auto

Have a spare tire (space saver, 60 psi type) that slowly losses air. Have taken it to the tire shop twice and they say the bead is disintegrating (it is 30+ years old  but looks new) and I need a new spare. Suggested I get a spare from a newer model at a salvage yard but didn't know what models to look for. Called the salvage yards and they need to know year/make/model to see if they have one. It is a 4 bolt rim. Do you know what newer model car spare tire would fit to check the salvage yards?

Hi Jim,
I believe that many Chrysler Corp cars of the 1980's would have a spare that is identical to yours. My approach would be to visit a wrecking yard and look into the trunk of all such vehicles to see whether a spare tire identical to yours is there or not. There are only a maybe 3 such sized compact spares offered for the wheels that you have (14" I presume) so the chances are good you will find one at the yard. Bring along a tire gauge to see whether there is any pressure in it as an initial test of whether its bead is in good condition. Another possibility would be to see whether you can buy an inner tube that might fit properly inside your present tire.
Thanks for the rating/nomination.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).