Chrysler Repair/2005 Chrysler Pacifica air conditioner

Question
Roland ~

I have a 05 Pacifica, AWD, 250-hp, 3.5-liter V-6 (regular gas).  My air conditioner will work for about 45 to 60 minutes, but then begin to blow hot air only.  My trusty mechanic looked at it and determined that my computer was going out.  Not sure what he meant by computer though.  He did figure out a work-around for me in the mean-time though.  If I want to have air, I need to push the heat/ac module to turn the air off (push the snowflake button so it doesn't show in the display), then the air will work.  This has been working, but once again, once I drive 45 - 60 minutes, the air starts blowing hot air.  The problem is that the computer can't tell the compressor to turn off.  Then, when I am going to have my car off for more than 30 minutes, I must pull the fuse under the hood, slot 39, so the compressor will disengage.  When this all started, my battery was dead each time in the morning when I went to leave for work.  After jumping it, I was fine.  Bottom line, he said that the compressor continues to run and the only way for my battery to not drain, is to unplug the compressor fuse #39.  I have had some issues with my control module in the winter when it would only blow cold air and not heat.  I hope some of this makes sense.  I would like to make the repair, but I am not sure what actual "computer" part I am needed.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Answer
Hi Christine,
Thanks for the detailed history of the problem.
The compressor clutch is powered by fuse 39. But that clutch is switched on by the compressor clutch relay which is located in the integrated power module where you also find fuse 39. The relay is along the edge of module close to the fender.
Now that relay needs 12v of power to operate its switching function, but no such power is available unless the key is in the "run" position. So it should not be able to close the circuit when the key is "off".
I suspect that relay is sticking in the 'on' position and so I would try changing it out with the "spare" relay located next to it (assuming that is there) or buying a replacement relay if not.
Let me know how this works out.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston